[ubuntu-za] Migrating from vista to Ubuntu

Tim Johnson tim at pteq.net
Fri Apr 3 14:09:56 BST 2009

I migrated completely from XP after 6 months of dual booting and I haven't
looked back.

Backing up your Windows stuff is obviously a good idea... you never know
what you'll need in the future.

As for alternative apps, look at www.osalt.com for a comprehensive list of
Linux equivalents to Windows apps.  I use Opera which imported all of my
mail and bookmarks without a problem.  I haven't used Thunderbird for a
while, so I cant remember what it imports, but Firefox imports most
bookmarks flawlessly.

I would imagine that you can reserve your HP Recovery partition using
GParted, but I'm not experienced enough to guide you on that.  What is in
that partition anyway?  Is it not only Windows-related recovery data?  If
so, you may not need it after migration.

How long have you been using Ubuntu?  From the sound of your question
regarding alternative apps, perhaps you should continue to dual-boot until
you are satisfied that you have found all the Linux apps you need?

Good luck

--
Using Ubuntu 8.10 and Opera