[ubuntu-za] DVD Installation

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Tue Sep 30 20:09:51 BST 2008

Hi Vincent

vincent wrote:
> I've just installed a LG Model GSA-H60N DVD Rewriter & while it works
> like a dream in XP, 8.04 will not play DVD's.
> I keep getting an error message saying "can't read from resource".
> Any suggestions?

The DVD decryption software is illegal in many countries because of
patent laws in those countries. Luckily that's not a problem in South
Africa, so you can easily manually install what you need to play the DVD's.

1. Install the libdvdcss2 package
2. Run "sudo /usr/share/doc/libdvdread3/install-css.sh

The script in the second script will do the rest for you. You should
then be able to play encrypted DVD's with no problem.

-Jonathan