[ubuntu-za] Copyright Law in New Zealand

Simon Cross hodgestar at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 19:55:38 BST 2008

On Wed, Sep 24, 2008 at 6:44 AM, Hilton Theunissen
<hilton at inkululeko.co.za> wrote:
>       "(1) The lawful user of a copy of a computer program expressed in
> a low level language does not infringe copyright in the program by
> decompiling it, if the conditions in subsection (2) are met.

Why would we want a useless two-faced law like this which implies that
current **copyright** restricts decompiling?

If we're going to have a law on decompiling, lets have one that says
what algorithms adults use on data in the privacy of their own homes
is no one else's business.