[ubuntu-za] Re-installing Feisty

Hannes Coetzee scorpking at eshowecompcentre.co.za
Wed Sep 24 18:47:10 BST 2008

Hi Vincent

Here is the S3 xorg.conf for 8.04 I talked about. It's for a laptop but
this should give you an idea what to do. You need custom "Device,
Monitor and Screen" sections for your graphics to work.

To create modelines - http://xtiming.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/xtiming.pl
This might help - https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+question/39287 ,
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=843764&highlight=s3+Prosavage ,
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenChrome (if you missed it) ,
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=489442&highlight=s3+Prosavage ,
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=349413&highlight=s3+Prosavage ,
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=243132&highlight=s3+Prosavage
and the list goes on.

It might be worth taking a look at the manpage for savage (man savage -
in konsole) to see what options are available.

Regards
Hannes

##------------ FILE START -----------#

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# This file was generated by dexconf, the Debian X Configuration tool, using
# values from the debconf database.
#
# Edit this file with caution, and see the xorg.conf manual page.
# (Type "man xorg.conf" at the shell prompt.)
#
# This file is automatically updated on xserver-xorg package upgrades *only*
# if it has not been modified since the last upgrade of the xserver-xorg
# package.
#
# If you have edited this file but would like it to be automatically updated
# again, run the following command:
#   sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Generic Keyboard"
    Driver        "kbd"
    Option        "XkbRules"    "xorg"
    Option        "XkbModel"    "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout"    "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Configured Mouse"
    Driver        "mouse"
    Option        "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier    "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver        "synaptics"
    Option        "SendCoreEvents"    "true"
    Option        "Device"    "/dev/psaux"
    Option        "Protocol"    "auto-dev"
    Option        "HorizEdgeScroll"    "0"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "Configured Video Device"
    Boardname    "vesa"
    Busid        "PCI:1:0:0"
    Driver        "vesa"
    Screen    0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Configured Monitor"
    Vendorname    "Generic LCD Display"
    Modelname    "LCD Panel 1024x768"
    Horizsync    31.5-48.0
    Vertrefresh    56.0 - 65.0
  modeline  "1024x768 at 60" 65.0 1024 1048 1184 1344 768 771 777 806
-vsync -hsync
    Gamma    1.0
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Monitor        "Configured Monitor"
    Device        "Configured Video Device"
    Defaultdepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
        Depth    24
        Virtual    1024    768
        Modes        "800x600 at 60"    "1024x768 at 60"    "800x600 at 56"
"640x480 at 60"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"