[ubuntu-za] CAN'T TURN OFF PC

vincent bullet at ballmail.co.za
Tue Sep 23 19:03:02 BST 2008

Hi Folks,
I'm hoping someone can help here.
On 20-09, Mumia W wrote that he couldn't turn off his pc,blank screen,
still runs, except by pushing the off button.
I have a similar problem with a slight difference - When selecting the
reboot or shut down options on screen, the screen goes blank, but the pc
keeps running. Here is where I differ from Mumia, my *Off* button on the
box freezes & the only way is to push the Restart button(which still
responds) & go into windows in order to shut down.
Mumia was asked to supply the outputs from the following commands - I've
taken the liberty of doing the same, in the hope that this will be of
some help in sorting my problem.
My pc is a desktop, 1.7GHZ CPU, 512MB ram,P4.

"vincent at vincent-desktop:~$ uname -a
Linux vincent-desktop 2.6.24-16-generic #1 SMP Thu Apr 10 13:23:42 UTC
2008 i686 GNU/Linux
vincent at vincent-desktop:~$ cat /etc/issue
Ubuntu 8.04 \n \l

vincent at vincent-desktop:~$ cat /proc/cmdline
root=UUID=7c02c765-986b-4539-ae95-0f5ab516909e ro quiet splash acpi=force
vincent at vincent-desktop:~$ /sbin/lsmod | grep button
button                  9232  0
vincent at vincent-desktop:~$ ps ax | grep acpid
   45 ?        S<     0:00 [kacpid]
 4609 ?        Ss     0:00 /usr/sbin/acpid -c /etc/acpi/events -s
/var/run/acpid.socket
 5084 ?        S      0:00 hald-addon-acpi: listening on acpid socket
/var/run/acpid.socket
 5638 pts/0    R+     0:00 grep acpid"

Best Hopeful Regards
Vince