[ubuntu-za] KDE 4.1

JP Viljoen jp at bitcortex.co.za
Mon Sep 22 19:33:56 BST 2008

On Monday 22 September 2008 11:11:42 James Cuénod wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I've got kubuntu installed on my laptop (not the remix - just KDE 3.5.9 -
> or maybe .8 - I can't remember). I installed KDE4 but it really gets me
> down... Stuff like the clock in the panel doesn't resize properly according
> to the panel size (so it is really bloated in the panel) and sometimes when
> you resize the panel it disappears when you log in again (which means I've
> got to manually go and remove the resize information from KDE's settings
> file). Amarok is also mucked up now - after about 3 seconds of playing it
> starts using both cores at about 100% and all of my 2GB of RAM to play 3mb
> of audio (the whole playlist isn't even 2GB). Amarok is the main thing that
> bugs me because when I log back into KDE3, amarok is "upgraded" so it
> doesn't work properly anymore. Anyway, I was just wondering whether anyone
> had tried out KDE4.1 and whether it was better (and whether anyone had
> experienced the same problem with Amarok).

I tried it out, and had many similar experiences. From 4.0 to 4.1 they made one helluva large improvement, but
the end product which is 4.1 is, in my opinion, not near ready for the masses, and they should be very sure
they are able to *speedily* fix these sort of issues as they are all the minor niggles which would count up
to one large irritation which will make a user want to stay far far away from it. That said, I really do hope
they get the stuff right, because I think the technology underpinning KDE4.1 has quite a lot of potential in
what it could be used for.