[ubuntu-za] Thin Client on Ubuntu 8.04

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 18 16:03:49 BST 2008

Hi Barry

Barry Wyatt wrote:
> Anyone had any luck installing old pcs as thin clients?

I would say that I've had success with them before, yes.

> I am still struggling to get thin client working on Hardy.  The server
> works, I can PXE in with my Laptop - no problems, works well.
>
> I am now trying to etherboot three old PCs (the reason I want to go thin
> client) - downloads kernel, but after RESET I get a kernel panic.

If you get to a stage where you're getting a kernel, then it doesn't
sound like it's an Etherboot problem, at least.

> I tried installing Hardy on the actual machines from live CD and the
> installation hung - are the machines just too old to run Hardy?  Surely
> not.
>
> I keep reading useful threads to find out they are for an older version
> of Ubuntu and don't have the correct paths etc.

How old are these machines? Machines with very low amounts of RAM (less
than 32MB) or very old CPU's (more than 5 years old) aren't really
appropriate for LTSP thin clients anymore. There's a slight chance that
there might be some hardware incompatibility that causes it. What kind
of machine/model is it?

-Jonathan