[ubuntu-za] Freedom Toasters

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 18 14:34:00 BST 2008

On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 10:45, Vijay Makanjee <vijay at ergo.co.za> wrote:
> Also the freedom toaster meant to be in EL appears to be permanently in
> storage... so that is out as a way to showcase some of the software and punt
> software freedom day.

I had a chat with Brett Simpson of Breadbin Interactive
(http://www.breadbin.co.za/) who are now running the toaster project
commercially. He said there is little that they can do with the old
toasters that are so out of date, because the community-run effort to
maintain them just didn't work (people moved on and abandoned the
toasters...) He said they are considering recalling all those old
toasters and redeploying them with the support of corporate
sponsorship or something, and it's basically up to whoever is
hosting/sponsoring each toaster to keep it up to date.

To update a toaster a hard drive can be connected and if it has files
in a certain location with the metadata describing the contents, then
it will copy the content on - or the hard drive can be swapped out
with a different one prepopulated.

If anyone is interested in hosting a toaster and doing it properly
(which I guess means taking responsibility for downloading everything
you want on there...) then contact Breadbin.

Regards
Morgan