[ubuntu-za] Kubuntu Remix

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 18 13:50:38 BST 2008

Hi Derick

Derick Hewetson wrote:
> I tried out Kubuntu for the first time yesterday, having been an Ubuntu
> user previously. I used the Kubuntu 8.04 Remix with KDE4, and have found
> it almost unusable (crashes, screen not redrawing etc).
>
> Of those of you that have used it, do any of you have any recommended
> improvements I can make to improve stability, or do you suggest just
> reverting to KDE3?

Using KDE 3 would probably be your best bet. KDE 4 is to a large degree
a rewrite of big parts of KDE 3. Some components are entirely missing
from KDE 4, such as the KDE-PIM suite. The KDE project received some
criticism for calling the 4.0 release a final release, but they have
made it clear that KDE 4 is a long term project, and it will probably be
another 2 Ubuntu releases or so before KDE 4 will be anywhere close to
KDE 3. Aparently KDE 4.1 fixes a large amount of issues that users
experienced in KDE 4.0.

-Jonathan