[ubuntu-za] Re-installing Feisty

vincent bullet at ballmail.co.za
Thu Sep 18 10:46:52 BST 2008

Hi Hannes,
I must at this point tell you that although I've been using, until the
crash, feisty for the past year, I'm, in technical terms, an absolute
newbie - Feisty spoilt me as it was a "plug & play" installation,no
hassles, resolution,in fact everything went smoothly, with the exception
of the dial up modem, but that was sorted by visits to ubuntu "how to" &
the dell site - Hardy, because of the resolution & shutdown problems,
has been a nightmare by comparison.

Hi Vincent

VIA S3 graphics cards are some of the cheapest around. Most of the
cheaper laptops come with them. You need to use the OpenChrome driver
for this card if I'm not mistaken. see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenChrome .My dad's laptop has the
same card. You might have to add a monitor (1024 x 768) before you will
get anything bigger than 800 x 600. If you still battle let me know. The
last S3 card I had to configure was quite a pain. I still have the
xorg.conf for the S3 on 8.04 somewhere should you need it.

I don't know if it has any bearing on present problems, my machine is a
desktop, not laptop - just thought I'd mention it.

Possibly your kind offer of the S3 xorg.conf might be the end to my
resolution problems

You say I might need to add a monitor.(1024x768) How do I do this?
I've tried at the configure screen after recovery mode has finished, but
don't know where to import from? - I select Generic & monitor 1024x768 &
press add & then I'm lost!

Thanks for the info, when I use apt-get to get the openchrome driver it
tells me that I already have the latest one installed

I'd suggest a reinstall instead of an upgrade. To make things easier in
the future for upgrading or a reinstall is to always have your /home
directory on a separate partition. That way you can reinstall without
losing any of your files and information. Make a backup of
/var/cache/apt/archives/ to save all the extra packages that you have
downloaded already. Once you have Xorg working also make a backup of
xorg.conf .If you use wvdial for dialup then backup /etc./wvdial.conf
.Other dialup settings should be in /etc./ppp/ but I'n not sure. Maybe
someone else here knows better.

Is there any way to create a partition for my home directory at this
stage? - I've unfortunately used the first option on installation,
"guided-resize master IDE", not manual & /home is in the root.

I take it that in order to backup files, I'll need to download the
openfs-client using apt get?

Could you test shutdown from GDM before you log in? If it works then
there is something in your home directory that's causing it. Another way
is to create a test user and test it there.

No change - Still a blank screen & computer still running.

Regards
Hannes

At present it's running in 640x400 - nice full screen & fonts the size
of billboards!

Kind Regards
Vincent