[ubuntu-za] Leadership change

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Thu Sep 18 08:56:08 BST 2008

Morgan Collett wrote:
> On Monday Craig Adams stepped down as co-leader of the Ubuntu-ZA
> LoCoTeam, as he has had no time to contribute in recent months.

Thanks to Craig for getting the initial set-up of the loco team done. I
hope the he jumps back in when he has more time again. Craig, you're
always welcome here.

> After a long conversation with Jonathan Carter last night I'm very
> happy to announce that Jonathan will be the new co-leader. For those
> of you who don't know him, Jonathan is a long time contributor to
> Ubuntu, specifically Edubuntu where he was the first project webmaster
> and community contact. He is an Ubuntu member, and has been involved
> with local projects including Skubuntu and the tuxLabs derivative
> distro. Jonathan has worked for the Shuttleworth Foundation,
> Inkululeko and Impi Linux.

That's quite an interesting mini-bio :)

 From November onwards I'll have some dedicated time to spend working on
our loco team. The timing is slightly off though, since our Loco team
will be up for review in October, where we'll have to report on our
activities for the last two years. The loco has been practically
non-existent in its first year. Basically, we might have to re-apply for
our loco status. Morgan has done a great job of getting it going with a
few hard pushes. Since Feisty we've had release parties in Cape Town,
and since Hardy, in Jo'burg as well. Mailing list and IRC participation
has improved, and we now host our own wiki and planet. We also have
members that have taken good initiative with the local Get Ubuntu program.

I think that we have to take what we've done the last year, which our
little team can be proud of, and solidify it over the next year. Let's
get more people involved in making themselves available to burn Ubuntu
discs for other people (I should do that too, I know), and make some
more Ubuntu noise on the planets, get some nice avatars for our current
planet, finish our wiki migration (I'll put some specific effort into
getting this done), etc. On top of that, we should expand on what we're
doing. I think most people will agree that a community is much more than
a mailing list and a website (although those are important). We need to
get more physical.

Morgan and I talked for a few hours about this on Tuesday evening at
Sandton City in Johannesburg. We had a bunch of ideas, our biggest
concern is that we might get a bit too ambitious and choose to pursuit
too big tasks and projects that we may be too small for at the moment.

There will be some separate threads on the subject where we'll discuss
the future of our loco team, and where we as a team would like to see it

I suggest that everyone take some time when you're in the bath, shower,
in the loo, stuck in traffic, stuck in boring meetings, etc, take some
time and think about the loco team over the next week or so. Where do
you want to see it go? What can we do to improve the Ubuntu experience
in South Africa? How can we improve our national footprint and be of
service to new users?

The loco report will also require us to list what our plans are for the
next year. Let's put together a plan that is achievable and that will
make our loco team a solid and progressive organisation.

Who's in?