[ubuntu-za] Re-installing Feisty

Trevor Hughes linux at thewildfig.co.za
Wed Sep 17 15:07:37 BST 2008

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 1:46 PM, Hannes Coetzee <
scorpking at eshowecompcentre.co.za> wrote:

> I'd suggest a reinstall instead of an upgrade. To make things easier in
> the future for upgrading or a reinstall is to always have your /home
> directory on a separate partition. That way you can reinstall without
> losing any of your files and information. Make a backup of
> /var/cache/apt/archives/ to save all the extra packages that you have
> downloaded already. Once you have Xorg working also make a backup of
> xorg.conf .If you use wvdial for dialup then backup /etc/wvdial.conf
> .Other dialup settings should be in /etc/ppp/ but I'n not sure. Maybe
> someone else here knows better.

Good advice for sure and I did read about a clever technique to list all
packages installed and to make a neat little script that installs them all
again so you do not miss anything. Unfortunately I don;t have the link but
maybe someone else know the commands - it was actually quite simple.

Trev