[ubuntu-za] Re-installing Feisty

Hannes Coetzee scorpking at eshowecompcentre.co.za
Wed Sep 17 12:46:57 BST 2008

Hi Vincent

VIA S3 graphics cards are some of the cheapest around. Most of the
cheaper laptops come with them. You need to use the OpenChrome driver
for this card if I'm not mistaken. see
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/OpenChrome .My dad's laptop has the
same card. You might have to add a monitor (1024 x 768) before you will
get anything bigger than 800 x 600. If you still battle let me know. The
last S3 card I had to configure was quite a pain. I still have the
xorg.conf for the S3 on 8.04 somewhere should you need it.

I'd suggest a reinstall instead of an upgrade. To make things easier in
the future for upgrading or a reinstall is to always have your /home
directory on a separate partition. That way you can reinstall without
losing any of your files and information. Make a backup of
/var/cache/apt/archives/ to save all the extra packages that you have
downloaded already. Once you have Xorg working also make a backup of
xorg.conf .If you use wvdial for dialup then backup /etc/wvdial.conf
.Other dialup settings should be in /etc/ppp/ but I'n not sure. Maybe
someone else here knows better.

Could you test shutdown from GDM before you log in? If it works then
there is something in your home directory that's causing it. Another way
is to create a test user and test it there.

Regards
Hannes