[ubuntu-za] Re-installing Feisty

vincent bullet at ballmail.co.za
Wed Sep 17 08:49:57 BST 2008

Hi Folks,
Can anyone please help me with info on re-installing feisty on my
computer - I've just about given up with hardy.It won't recognise my
graphics card & will only display resolutions of 800x600 or 600x400 &
not 1024x768 which is what it should be - Feisty has no trouble with this.
Hardy won't allow package manager to open feisty, giving a whole list of
files it say's aren't there, so it would appear that I can't install in
hardy.
Should I install in windows, won't I possibly mess up the partition's on
the drive?
The other hassle with hardy is that it won't turn off when selecting the
shutdown option & the off button on the case freezes so my only option
here is the reboot button on the case which still work's...so it's into
XP,(dual boot sys)& then turn off.
I've tried shutdown, going into root & shutdown -h -P - Same story, the
screen goes blank & computer keeps running.
I've tried re installing hardy, still won't recognise on board graphics
card.(S3 Prosavage DDr Microsft)It's defaulted to a "vesa" which only
give the 800 or 600 resolution. Enough now!
Please help, I don't want to mess up or corrupt any files & need to know
the correct procedure - Also, will I lose any upgrades done? e.g.. Eye
of gnome, gnome dialup tool,modem driver? Or will they be transferred
over to feisty?

Vince