[ubuntu-za] Software Freedom Day event 17 September Sandton Convention Centre

Morgan Collett morgan.collett at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 20:33:04 BST 2008

On Tue, Sep 9, 2008 at 11:43, Ivo Vegter <ivo at hivemind.net> wrote:
> Maybe we should do a dual Ubuntu-ZA gathering. Get Ubuntu going on an
> eeePC at iWeek, and video-conference to an OLPC in Sandton. See which
> one falls over first.

There is actually an XMPP video calling app for the OLPC, but it's
possibly bitrotted as it's not exactly at the same educational
priority as the rest of the platform. However, it's configured to call
others on the same local network, or via a common jabber server. It
should be compatible with Empathy (the proposed default IM client in
the next GNOME release) since both are built on the Telepathy stack.

Unfortunately I don't think we'll have the Internets at the OLPC
booth, since the conference centre's outsourced IT vendor charges lots
of $MONEY for that sort of thing...

Regards
Morgan