[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu release date and time

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 30 09:54:22 GMT 2008

On Thu, Oct 30, 2008 at 11:27, Vijay Makanjee <vijay at ergo.co.za> wrote:
> so is the release date and time based on SA/GMT or US time?

When the release manager thinks it's ready, and when the important
mirrors have synced... The "daily" snapshot CD image was changed 5
times yesterday so there were definitely some last minute fixes
required.

The goal is definitely to announce the release while it is still Oct
30 *somewhere* in the world :)

For future reference, you can get the release ahead of time by getting
an earlier ISO (beta, rc or a daily snapshot) and rsyncing it to the
current daily snapshot with the instructions provided at
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RsyncCdImage - by the time the
release is announced, the image will be the final one. A couple of
days ago I rsynced the beta iso to daily-live and it needed to
download 301 MB. Today, to rsync to the current daily-live, an
additional 60MB.

If you are going to download the ISO and you have an earlier one, I do
recommend rsync. I think there's a trick where you can do it with
bittorrent too and only download the changed portion of the ISO, but I
don't remember how.

Regards
Morgan