[ubuntu-za] South African Ubuntu

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Thu Oct 30 08:41:45 GMT 2008

Hi Philip

philip at pinksoft.co.za wrote:
> Just chill on the technical side. I think the biggest problem that
> Ubuntu faces is logistics. I find in fact that the releases com too
> fast.  We need to get CDS on display for sale in Retail outlets. This
> haphazzard "I'll spot you in the carpark- get you a copy". Real software
> gets sold at Incredible Connection - Even Free software. At the vey
> least is shoudl be available overnight delivery at Postnet.

It's quite cool that you *can* get an Ubuntu disc at 2:45am in a parking
lot somewhere if you really need to. Revolutions become too boring when
they become *too* formalised :)

I do agree with you that it should be available via postnet overnight.
Getting printed CD's via shipit is nice, but often, by the time the
discs are printed it's 2 weeks old, and by the time it reaches SA, it's
a month old, and sometimes, when customs get involved, you're 3 months
away from the next release. I used to download all kinds of Linux CD's
and post them to people overnight. I'm getting an intern from December
onwards, I've been considering reviving it starting then. I think there
are others still doing it currently though.

-Jonathan