[ubuntu-za] upgrade or not

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Wed Oct 22 13:53:54 BST 2008

<e01c24400810210725i1478dbe8lb95dc27c371c691a at mail.gmail.com>
<48FE0671.5070609 at ergo.co.za>
<325065de0810210949s69e3e8ck3a336ebd8f7889cc at mail.gmail.com>
<48FED954.9070808 at ergo.co.za> <48FEDBFE.8090307 at stockton.co.za> <3b4695a60810220328r64cd62a0q5b87ae52061e3130 at mail.gmail.com>

> I agree - I have traditionally been a late adopter (only upgrading to
> Gutsy a week before the Hardy release for instance) and in my opinion
> the later in an upgrade cycle you upgrade the better Ubuntu is.
>
> I upgraded to Hardy the week it was released and must say I was
> disappointed - and only when I moved on to the .1 release have I been
> happy again.

I have never had a problem. My server at home was running Dapper, and I did
the LTS to LTS direct upgrade without a single issue. My wife's laptop has
been upgraded from Feisty to Gutsy to Hardy without a single problem. My
desktop's upgrade process died half way for some arb reason, but with 2
commands I got it going again (albeit without a pretty GUI) and that was
all the "pain" I experienced.

In my not-so-humble opinion, all these woes you hear are a drop in the
ocean of upgrades.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: http://www.saturnlaboratories.co.za/
b: http://blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za/