[ubuntu-za] Getting the basics right - a reality bytes wishlist

Derick Hewetson derick at cyberiansystems.net
Wed Oct 15 08:22:13 BST 2008

Reenen Laurie wrote:

> [...]
While a good search engine can be a life-saver when looking for a
misplaced file, I tend to think that a bit of discipline when saving
files in appropriate locations can also go a long way towards making
life easier. The Spotlight search engine in OS X is the standard I
compare things too, when it comes to searching.

> 2. Internet integration. Ubuntu is hardly what one could call
> net-integrated. Okay it has an interesting installer that claims to
> use the Internet, but this is par for the course on Linux. I have a
> dialup and have battled to get the most simple Internet connection
> working. I am not alone, and am left battling with archaic DNS
> entries, and therefore plus one to Windows.
> Modems are a PITA (pain in the ...) and windows also struggle.
> However less so because the hardware people write the drivers and not
> the MS people.

I agree that Linux or most Unix systems for that matter are designed to
be on networks, and can be frustrating as standalone machines, partly
because of the need to install packages and updates, and partly because
one cannot simply walk into a shop and get a particular software package
over the counter.

> 3. Spelling. Are you kidding me, do you expect me to believe that Sun
> couldn't offer the Ubuntu Community a better dictionary? The Open
> Office package needs a lot more localisation to fit into the Ubuntu
> ethos, and this means a South African English spelling dictionary!!!!
> They should implement the firefox dictionary (I believe you can, if
> you look at the firefox plug-in I think they give instructions there
> on how to do it) - and it can come with by default.
>
> 4. End to Format Wars - MHT files do not run on Ubuntu. Period. Yes,
> there is a Firefox patch, but it doesn't exactly work 100% of the
> time, in most cases the hacks suggested by the community come unstuck
> on the tenacity of the opposition's willingness to compromise
> communication in order to achieve their nefarious goals. The forums
> are really bad way to fix format problems.
>
>  Ubuntu lives and dies by its ability to be interoperable and to
> digest the internet in any format it comes in, but I fear we are all
> giving the OS a rare appetite for spewing out Microsoft files that
> don't match Firefox, which surely isn't the way to go?
> I have no idea... Someone else can comment.
>
> 5. Better offline distribution. How many times have I got to say this
> - not everybody has broadband internet or even dialup. This means the
> distribution of the ubuntu universe sucks big time and is a huge
> disencentive to users wanting to convert from Windows. In fact, the
> ease of use with which the Microsoft installer gives to its users (who
> live in internet cafe's) is insane compared to Ubuntu. Ubuntu is a bum
> deal when it comes to this single hurdle and I can only say, offline
> community is the way to go - either share the universe or die
> alongside the Amiga and other Operating systems that have gone the way
> of the Dodo.
> I agree with the installers.  Windows installers is simpler.  But
> here's why.  There is something called a shared library in Windows...
> DLL, but almost no-one uses it, linux has it, and they use it.  In MS,
> everyone ships their own version of the .dll with the software, so
> that they are sure you have everything.  This causes:
> 1. More disk space
> 2. More memory usage
> 3. Less stability
> 4. Less version control
> 5. More crashes
>
> In linux the app just doesn't work when the library is not installed,
> and it says you need X dependancy.
>
> But linux could get the to same level... they just need to figure out
> how.  (I have not the answer - and being "on-line" seems to be the
> solution Ubuntu is going for, and fortunately it is something most
> people that use ubuntu is). But I can tell you one thing linux is not
> going the way of the Amiga... If firefox dies, then linux will too.

The drag-and-drop approach of OS X and the DMG disk images for
installation is again an example I would like to see Linux strive
towards to make it more user-friendly. Does anyone still remember the
original Mac ROM with its UI libraries built-in, so that all
applications functioned according to strict guidelines ensuring
usability? The software was much smaller, compatible and stable. I
understand of course that the PC architecture prevents such an approach,
but the concept of everyone using standardised libraries and including
anything extra into a single installer would surely be a good idea?