[ubuntu-za] Firestarter firewall

Robert Holm robhholm at lantic.net
Fri Oct 3 11:34:00 BST 2008

On Fri, 2008-10-03 at 10:49 +0200, William Gebers wrote:
> Hi Robert.
>
> Have you tried running Firestarter as root?  Although I have never
> tried using Firestarter, it sounds like it may have to do with
> permissions.  I.e. the software is trying to check the status of
> something that it does not have permission to access and hence thinks
> it is not active?
>

> Regards
>
> William
>

> 2008/10/2 Robert Holm <robhholm at lantic.net>:
> > Hi,

> > When I load the Firestarter firewall that I used successfully with my
> > dialup connection I get the following: "Failed to start the firewall.
> > The device eth0 is not ready. Please check your network device settings
> > and make sure your internet connection is active."

Running as root has no effect.
What I tried next was to edit the /etc/firestarter/configuration file by
changing the name of the external network interface from "eth0" to
"ppp0", and made the same change to the internal network name.(Have not
checked to see if this additional change was really necessary, or
desirable).

Firestarter now starts without a problem. It shows the iBurst wireless
HTTPS service as a permanent active connection, and it records all the
blocked events. I don't know enough to know whether this is kosher, but
it seems to be OK.

Robert