[ubuntu-za] 3G Connection using Vodacom 3G (Atlantic)

Hugh Jacobs hughjacobs at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 12:35:12 BST 2008

 *(Original article taken from my personal blog: **
http://www.freeminds.co.za/2008/07/simpler-method-to-3g-in-linux.html*<http://www.freeminds.co.za/2008/07/simpler-method-to-3g-in-linux.html>
*)*

Up until now, I have been using the Vodafone Mobile Connect Card Driver for
Linux <https://forge.betavine.net/projects/vodafonemobilec/> to connect my
Ubuntu laptop to the Vodacom 3G network. This worked fine for me till this
point, because I have been using the Gnome Desktop
Environment<http://www.gnome.org/>.
But now that I have decided to take a look at KDE 4 <http://www.kde.org/>, I
came across something that really bothered me. The Vodafone Mobile Connect
Driver is
very dependent on Gnome. Not GTK+. Gnome! To be honest, I really wouldn't of
minded if it was built using GTK+ and needs it. That is what I thought the
case was. But then when I tried to install it, it wanted to pull in half the
Gnome libraries. So I thought I would give it a try and install the Gnome
libraries. This still didn't get the driver to work in KDE.

This is what got me searching for another method, and this is another way I
have found, and with a standard (K)Ubuntu installation, requires no other
packages:

   1. From the terminal, run sudo pppconfig and Create a new connection,
   with a name such as 3G.
   2. Enter the user name (SIM number) and password (PIN number).
   3. The connection method is PAP, and select dial type tone.
   4. The number to dial is *99***1# and enter a speed of 460800.
   5. (K)Ubuntu 7.04 and up automatically registers the card on insertion

   tail /var/log/messages

   to determine the TTY port, ordinarily /dev/ttyUSB0 and enter this as the
   COM port.
   6. Save the entries.

To connect, enter *pon 3G*. To disconnect, enter *poff*.