[ubuntu-za] 3G Connection using Vodacom 3G (Atlantic)

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Wed Oct 1 20:29:23 BST 2008

On Wednesday 01 October 2008 20:10:04 Louis van der Merwe wrote:
> Are you using the USB or PCMCIA modem? both are supported under ubuntu, but
> there is no "vodacom mobile connect" application for linux. you have to
> configure the connection yourself, but the device is supported out the box.

Actually, there is:
http://forge.vodafonebetavine.net/projects/vodafonemobilec/

> for the usb modem, the device will be auto detected as /dev/ttyUSB0. then
> you can use wvdial or the gnome network applet to connect.
> i don't have my wvdial.conf with me right now, but got mine off google.
> basically the number to dial is *99***1# or *99# (shorthand), the username
> and password can be anything (wvdial doesn't support blank credentials).
> the access point to use is "internet".

I've written a blog post on how to get a Huawei device (in my case the E272)
up and running on a linux box (in this case, my routing server):
<http://blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za/2008/06/21/howto_huawei_e272vodacomubuntu_hardy.html>

Hope this helps.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: www.saturnlaboratories.co.za
b: blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za