[ubuntu-za] laptop stand & wireless keyboard

Marius Kruger amanic at gmail.com
Wed Nov 26 21:01:08 GMT 2008

2008/11/26 Gustav H Meyer <ghmeyer at gmail.com>

> Talking of Keyboards. Anyone have good long term experience with
> wireless keyboard and mouse in terms of battery life. Am wondering
> whether it's worth investing some hard earned salary into something that
> might just cause more head-aches.

> Am currently leaning towards just buying a relatively cheap wired USB
> keyboard for the laptop while looking into building my own laptop stand
> to prevent neck and shoulder strain.

I also considered to build a stand, but at home I conveniently found that
the +- 13cm high piece of
wood on which my old monitor is standing works very nice: My secondary
battery grips nicely on the edge of the wood stand, and my table has a metal
edge which keeps my laptop from falling off.
The angle of the laptop isn't too high and I can still use its keyboard.
At work my laptop stands on a +-30cm high stack of books and there I have to
use an external keyboard. I unfortunately bought a M$ wireless keyboard and
mouse. The keyboard's battery is lasting over a year now. The M$ mouse never
wanted to work for me under kubuntu (I don't run windows so I've never tried
it elsewhere).

> Seen some nice ideas on youtube at:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-mghGsfAUrA
>
> and
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7kvswOK7SA&NR=1

this Cricket one looks very nice but at $40 its a bit pricey,
and I don't see any local dealers.

--
<| regards
U| Marius
H| <><
Z| http://amanica.blogspot.com/
<|
E| http://bazaar-vcs.org/
<| because I don't trust version control systems with less than 12994 unit
tests