[ubuntu-za] No PS2 keyboard

Ivo Vegter ivo at hivemind.net
Wed Nov 26 11:28:39 GMT 2008

Bill Cairns wrote:

> I have a brand new Mecer PC with a Johannesburger motherboard - no PS2
> ports. It runs like a dream and even manages to make Vista look quite
> speedy. The trouble is that it will not boot off the CD or a flash drive
> for that matter. Obviously the boot sequecnce has the hard drive first.
> So I need to get into BIOS to change the boot sequence. Except I can't
> change get into BIOS because I have a USB keyboard and my frantic
> pushing of F2 yields no result. Perhaps "Legacy USB Support" is not
> enables. Well, if I could get into BIOS, I could enable it ...

The last time I had a computer that failed to recognise a keyboard by
the time I wanted to get into the BIOS was the early 1990s. My current
keyboards are all USB or USB/wireless, and work just fine for activating
the BIOS settings to change boot order (or whatever), on several
(Intel-based) machines.

If you do have a machine that can't get to the BIOS with the only type
of keyboard for which that machine is designed, throw tomatoes at the
idiots who built it, because that's just braindead.

--
Ivo Vegter