[ubuntu-za] ubuntu-za Digest, Vol 38, Issue 23

Russell Cloran russell at rucus.net
Tue Nov 25 15:59:52 GMT 2008

Hi,

This is a (known, for some value of known) problem which seems to
manifest with HDA audio chipsets. I believe that if you wait 5 or 10
minutes the machine will eventually shut down, but I've yet to be that
patient.

Yes, downing your network interfaces before shutdown works around the
problem, as does disabling saving of ALSA state.

Some ways of implementing the workaround without having to manually
disable networking are at:

http://www.google.com/search?q=ALSA+shutdown+intrepid

The workaround I've used on my boxen is to add an "ifconfig eth0 down"
(substituting eth0 for each interface which might be up) inside the
"stop" section of /etc/init.d/alsa-utils.

Russell

echo http://russell.rucus.net/spam/ |  sed 's,t/.*,t,;P;s,.*//,,;s,\.,@,;'