[ubuntu-za] g3 ibook install

vincent bullet at ballmail.co.za
Mon Nov 17 11:30:37 GMT 2008

On Friday 14 November 2008 09:11:22 Vijay Makanjee wrote:
> Hey
>
> I have been running ubuntu in various iterations on my old ibook for
> some time now. Although some versions produced major headaches in
> installing I did manage to get hardy to run... until yesterday.
>
> Similar problems as others have had.. black blank screen on bootup, no
> chance to get to the cli or anything.
> did the whole bang shoot... reinstalled, also went down to 6.06 lts
> (which worked very well), tried to upgrade, loaded all updates to 6.06
> and then used alternate hardy ppc disk to upgrade... chowed my bandwidth
> but same problems.
>
> Well, then I thought to some searching and did the sensible thing.
> Installed debian for ppc. installed fine and is running as I write.
> Interesting that.
> so for those interested I have now a copy of debian 4 xfce version
>

> Vijay Makanjee
> Ergo | P O Box 19801 | Tecoma 5214 | South Africa
> Ph +2782 6014353 | Fax: 0866563858
> vijay at ergo dot co dot za

Hi Vijay,

Your post is interesting, to say the least.

I'm definitely interest in hearing more about the debian 4 xfce version, as
this is exactly what happened to me with 7.04 & because of ignorance on my
part & lack of knowledge with linux/ubuntu on the part of the IT guy's I use,
I lost all my data when they re-formatted the machine to take xp again.

I am running my business on this machine, now running 8.04.1 & because of the
inability of 8.04 to shut down, I'm feeling just a bit exposed & nervous -
Backup's are many, almost to the point of paranoia! - I'm really reluctant to
revert to xp again though & vista just isn't an option.

I'll contact you when I get to town & perhaps you can give me 5 minutes to
tell me a bit more.

Regards
Vince