[ubuntu-za] Live CD dist-upgrade

Jonathan Carter (highvoltage) jonathan at ubuntu.com
Sun Nov 9 11:58:23 GMT 2008

Hi James

James Cuénod wrote:
> I know that you are supposed to either use do the upgrade using an
> internet connection or an alternate disc but is it at all possible (I
> don't mind how complex or difficult) to do a dist-upgrade using only the
> live CD. I realise that the difference between the alternate and live
> discs is that the alternate disc actually holds the packages like a
> repository whereas the live CD is just an image of the system but is it
> possible to somehow "package" the extracted files on that image or
> something?

It certainly is "possible" to repack the packages on the live cd, but
you're really better of waiting a bit more and getting an alternate CD
from someone, or even backing up your data and installing from scratch.
There's a lot that can go wrong if you do attempt upgrading from the
live cd, and no one will be able to help you when it does.

-Jonathan