[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu South Africa release parties

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Thu Nov 6 14:42:03 GMT 2008

Jonathan Carter blogged about the Johannesburg release party[0].
Here[1] are his photos from that event.

I went to the Cape Town event which was held at Camps Bay High
School's tuXlab - an Ubuntu-powered school lab. We had about 30 people
attending, which was awesome, considering that only a few signed up on
the planning wiki page.

We distributed CDs, talked about hardware issues, and did several
installs. I took some photos[2], and Reenen Laurie has posted his[3]
as well.

Thanks to:

    * Eleanor Lenders of Inkululeko for arranging the venue, posting
signs, fetching pizza and going in search of balloons!
    * Rob Burger, the sysadmin of the CBHS tuXlab for spending the
whole of Saturday upgrading machines to Intrepid so we could have some
freshly installed machines to use - and for burning CDs.
    * Andy Rabagliati for organising the event and handling the
complaints about bluetooth so well…
    * Everyone who attended! This community is about you!

It was great to have the event at a tuXlab, and it's definitely worth
holding our release parties at the same, or similar, tuXlabs in the
future.

On that note, these school labs are largely supported by volunteers,
so if you are available to help, please speak up on the ubuntu-za
mailing list.

Regards
Morgan

[0] http://jonathancarter.co.za/2008/11/01/all-you-need-is-ubuntu/