[ubuntu-za] South African Ubuntu

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Wed Nov 5 09:25:56 GMT 2008

On Tue, Nov 4, 2008 at 17:20, Vijay Makanjee <vijay at ergo.co.za> wrote:
> Reenen Laurie wrote:
>  > * Ensure that stuff like dial-up modems, 3g and any other types of as
>  > many types are supported  (most are already!)

> and failed on that such that I have given up.

I just tried NetworkManager's 3G support in Intrepid, and it really
has grown a beard and punched my old ppp script into oblivion!
(http://blogs.gnome.org/dcbw/2007/10/15/networkmanager-07-is-the-new-chuck-norris/)

I plugged my Nokia E61's USB cable in, selected "PC Suite" mode on the
phone, and NetworkManager detected it as a mobile broadband device and
let me configure it by selecting one of the ZA cell providers - choose
from cell-c, MTN, Virgin Mobile, Vodacom and Vodacom unrestricted APN.
That adds in a profile with *99# etc preconfigured. Then to use it I
just click on the NM applet and choose Vodacom, and it Just Works.

Hopefully the USB 3G modems work just as well.

Regards
Morgan