[ubuntu-za] Network Problems

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 05:46:21 GMT 2008

On Sun, Nov 2, 2008 at 8:34 PM, James Cuénod <j3frea at gmail.com> wrote:
> Okay, nevermind... Thanks for all the help, I got it working eventually
> using an actual bridge. Just out of interest, why would I not want to use an
> actual bridge?

Well, unless your laptop needs to connect to 2 physcally seperated
(i.e via a switch), LAN's on the SAME IP subnet, then you don't need a
bridge.

If LAN #1  is on 192.168.0.0/24 & LAN #2 on 192.168.10.0/24, then you
simply configure each NIC with the corresponding settings, and setup
IP forwarding if you want these 2 LANS to talk to each other via your
laptop - but then you're making it a gateway.

The better alternative is to setup a default gw on the routers (be it
Linux routers, DSL routers, or whatever) from each LAN to the other
LAN. Then your laptop can connect to either IP network, and still
access both networks.

--

Kind Regards
Rudi Ahlers