[ubuntu-za] Edubuntu DVD

William Kinghorn williamk at dut.ac.za
Sat May 31 07:09:18 BST 2008

H Philip,

have a look in Synaptic for aptoncd

The description is :
Installation disc creator for packages downloaded via APT
APT removable repository creator and package backup tool for Debian
based
systems.

This tool will allow you to create a media (CD or DVD) to use to install
software via APT in a non-connected machine, as well upgrade and install
the same set of softwares in several machines with no need to
re-download
the packages again.

For more information, visit http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net

Hope this helps

William

>>> Phillip Pare <ptpare at lantic.net> 05/30/08 2:26 PM >>>
The University of Pretoria only has the DVD image and not the CD images
of Edubuntu. As such, I have burnt images of the Edubuntu DVD. I
gathered from other documentation that with the 8.04 release I should
install Edubuntu on top of the normal 8.04 Ubuntu. As such I now have a
working 8.04 system with VLC, the DVD music libraries, Opera and Skype.

It would appear that that Edubuntu DVD is a complete system that should
be insalled alone without using the 8.04 Ubuntu disk. What would be the
procedure now to avoid doing an install from scratch? I ask as I would
have to download again the various files from Medibuntu and Opera should

I install from scratch and I am installing on a home computer where
broadband is not available.

A related question would be on how to go about installing a whole
directory of deb files at one go without having to install and resolve
dependencies individually.

Thanks for any help.

Regards

Phillip Pare