[ubuntu-za] Securely upload files to server?

Jonathan Carter jonathan at ubuntu.com
Sat May 17 08:54:08 BST 2008

Hi Neil

>> What would be the best (most secure, easy for him, easy for me) way to
>> do this.?
>
> SCP? SFTP?
>
> SCP only requires SSH and a user account. SFTP may require an SFTP server,
> thought I'm not sure about that.

SCP/SFTP works great, and is generally your best bet for securely moving
data. Just remember to have all the security updates installed for your
system, and make sure that your SSH keys are safe, since there have been
a really serious OpenSSL bug found recently that affects pretty much
anything that uses it.

http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-612-1

-Jonathan