[ubuntu-za] GUI programming in Ubuntu

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Thu May 8 11:23:31 BST 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 9:34 PM, Neil Manson
<neil.manson at infotech.monash.edu> wrote:
>  I would like to write a small GUI app for my own use in Ubuntu. I have
>  some programming experience in Windows (Pascal, Delphi, Visual Basic)
>  and some Python scripting experience in Linux. I also have a tiny bit of
>  Java experience.
>
>  What language/tools/IDE etc would you recommend for developing a small
>  GUI app?

It depends on where you want to go with the project... If it's just a
nifty tool for your own use, use whatever you are most comfortable
with. On the other hand, if you want to contribute it to Ubuntu and
have other developers contribute, then I'd see it as an opportunity to
step out and learn something new that other developers are likely to
be using.

You said Ubuntu, not Kubuntu so I'll assume you're running GNOME. Then
anything gtk would be appropriate - I recommend python+pygt. (with
glade as Fredre mentioned).

Here are some useful links:
http://www.pygtk.org/docs/pygtk/
http://www.kplug.org/glade_tutorial/glade2_tutorial/glade2_introduction.html
http://www.gnome.org/~newren/tutorials/developing-with-gnome/html/
file:///usr/share/doc/diveintopython/html/toc/index.html  <-- free
python book already installed on your system...

If you are running Kubuntu, stick with Qt - it will look right on KDE,
and reduce the dependencies required to run it.

Regards
Morgan