[ubuntu-za] GUI programming in Ubuntu

William Kinghorn williamk at dut.ac.za
Thu May 8 06:55:32 BST 2008

Hi Neil,

I have not used these, but if you want to take what you already know.

look in Synaptic

Pascal -  Free Pascal - package name is fpc ( Meta Package )  or
fp-compiler  ( Free Pascal -- Compiler )

fpc
Free Pascal Compiler -- Meta Package
The Free Pascal Compiler is a Turbo Pascal 7.0 and Delphi compatible
32/64-bit
Pascal Compiler. It comes with a fully compatible TP 7.0 runtime
library.
Some extensions are added to the language, like function overloading.
Shared
libraries can be linked and created. Basic Delphi support is already
implemented (classes, exceptions, ansistrings, open arayes). This
package
contains dependency on all FPC packages provided on your architecture.
You need
at least the RTL package before you can start compiling anything, but if
you
want to write any real-world program, you may need to install this meta
package.

fp-compiler
Free Pascal -- Compiler
The Free Pascal Compiler is a Turbo Pascal 7.0 and Delphi compatible
32/64-bit
Pascal Compiler. It comes with a fully compatible TP 7.0 runtime
library.
Some extensions are added to the language, like function overloading.
Shared
libraries can be linked and created. Basic Delphi support is already
implemented (classes, exceptions, ansistrings). This package contains
the
command line compiler. You need at least the RTL package before you can
start
compiling anything.

Delphi - Lazarus
Rapid Application Development (RAD) tool for Free Pascal
Lazarus are the class libraries for Free Pascal that emulate Delphi.
Free Pascal is a GPL'd compiler that runs on Linux, Win32, OS/2, 68K
and other OS's. Free Pascal is designed to be able to understand and
compile programs written with the Delphi syntax, which is
object-oriented.
Lazarus is the part of the missing puzzle that will allow you to develop
Delphi-like programs in all of the above platforms.

Visual Basic -  Gambas2
Gambas is a free development environment based on a Basic interpreter
with object extensions, like Visual Basic(tm) (but it is NOT a clone!).

Hope this helps
William

>>> neil.manson at infotech.monash.edu 05/07/08 9:34 PM >>>
Hi All

I would like to write a small GUI app for my own use in Ubuntu. I have
some programming experience in Windows (Pascal, Delphi, Visual Basic)
and some Python scripting experience in Linux. I also have a tiny bit of

Java experience.

What language/tools/IDE etc would you recommend for developing a small
GUI app?

Thanks for the input.

Cheers,
  Neil