[ubuntu-za] iBurst desktop modem setup

Robert Holm robhh at absamail.co.za
Tue May 6 08:02:41 BST 2008

----- Original Message -----
From: "Jonathan Carter" <jonathan at ubuntu.com>
To: "Ubuntu South African Local Community" <ubuntu-za at lists.ubuntu.com>
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2008 12:56 AM
Subject: Re: [ubuntu-za] iBurst desktop modem setup

Hi Jonathan

> Is this an iBurst modem that connects to your computer via an ethernet
> cable, or a PCMCIA modem? I assumed it connected to your computer via
> ethernet, but in either case, you should not have to do anything with
> network manager, or have to set an address of any kind.

It does connect via an ethernet cable - and is now working.(see below)

>> When I set this up on Windows I note that the left hand led on the modem
>> changes from green to orange when I connect. On linux it stays green.
>> Does this have any significance?
>
> My guess would be "yes".

Loved  that answer!

When the modem is connected in Windows the led is orange, while in linux
 it remains green when connected. May be part of a FUD plot.

> Otherwise, I still suggest that you get in touch with iBurst support
> immediately after a login failure, they might be able to give you some
> clues on what went wrong.

I followed your advice and it turned out that there was some confusion with
the
user name given in their documentation, which they have rectified and
everything
is working fine. Thanks a lot for your assistance.

Robert