[ubuntu-za] iBurst desktop modem setup

Robert Holm robhh at absamail.co.za
Mon May 5 20:23:09 BST 2008

On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 20:54 +0200, Jonathan Carter wrote:
> Hi Robert
>
> Robert Holm wrote:
> > The network icon shows "no network connection", and clicking on "Dial up
> > connections" and selecting "connect to dsl-provider via modem" has no
> > effect.
>

> Don't worry too much about that, you don't need to get an IP address
> from the iBurst modem, or even set one on your interface.
>
> > Of course I get no joy from the iBurst "Customer Care"
>
> Perhaps you could tell them that you can't authenticate against their
> service, and if they could check their logs to see what went wrong. I
> had this annoying problem where a script of mine used to add a space at
> the end of the password, also causing authentication to fail. Perhaps
> you should try running pppoeconf again and re-enter your username and
> password?
>
> -Jonathan

I have now in some way reached a stage where if I left click on the
network icon I get a message  "Requesting a network address from the
wired network". But of course it doesn't find one.

When I set this up on Windows I note that the left hand led on the modem
changes from green to orange when I connect. On linux it stays green.
Does this have any significance?

I have checked and rechecked the login info, and rerun pppoeconf several
times.

Robert