[ubuntu-za] iBurst desktop modem setup

Jonathan Carter jonathan at ubuntu.com
Mon May 5 19:54:34 BST 2008

Hi Robert

Robert Holm wrote:
> The network icon shows "no network connection", and clicking on "Dial up
> connections" and selecting "connect to dsl-provider via modem" has no
> effect.

Yes, that's normal, you would not see any activity in Network Manager or
your dial-up connection when using PPPoE. This of course, will change in
the future, but that's how it is now.

> May  5 20:12:35 ubuntu pppd[6210]: Remote message: Authentication failed

Are you 100% sure you provided the right username/password combination?
 From the message above it seems that your connection is good, but that
there was simply an authentication problem.

> No DHCPOFFERS received.
> No working leases in persistent database - sleeping.
>
> I really don't know the significance, if any, of all this, but I decided
> to provide as much info as I know how.

Don't worry too much about that, you don't need to get an IP address
from the iBurst modem, or even set one on your interface.

> Of course I get no joy from the iBurst "Customer Care"

Perhaps you could tell them that you can't authenticate against their
service, and if they could check their logs to see what went wrong. I
had this annoying problem where a script of mine used to add a space at
the end of the password, also causing authentication to fail. Perhaps
you should try running pppoeconf again and re-enter your username and
password?

-Jonathan