[ubuntu-za] [Education] Month of Education status

Hilton Theunissen hilton at inkululeko.co.za
Mon Mar 31 12:19:40 BST 2008

from a cat/it mailing list:

" Colleagues

I wish to add two points into the mix!

1.  As from Dec 2008 there will be a single examination paper for CAT
and IT across the country (with possibly 2 exceptions, viz. the IEB and
the BCVO).  The national papers will have to comply with both the NCS
and SAG for the two subjects.  The NCS for both subjects is very clear
in that provision needs to be made for both a proprietary and an
open-source environment.  This means that candidates cannot be placed at
a disadvantage by being taught either Office 97, Office XP, Office 2003,
Office 2007, OpenOffice, StarOffice, etc.  The questions of necessity
will need to focus on the concepts and not, as DavidR has suggested, the
interface.  The UMALUSI External Moderators will have to look at this
very carefully so as to ensure no bias, etc.

2.  The current MS Schools Agreement expired on 30 June 2007.  A new
agreement has still not been accepted or signed.  MS have indicated, in
no uncertain terms, that any future agreement will not be extended
beyond 2010 and that provision will need to be made to move to the
academic pricing model.  If this is in fact true it has significant
implications for all schools, more especially for those offering CAT
and/or IT."

Kind regards.

Hilton Theunissen
Inkululeko Technologies