[ubuntu-za] [Education] Month of Education status

Weiers Coetser coetserw at hbc.ac.za
Thu Mar 27 13:53:15 GMT 2008

> My sense is to use the oft touted SA govt cabinet resolution on open
> source to get govt to support more of open source particularly in
> schools.

I know that the current Computer Applications Technology (CAT) course
for the Further Education and Training band is very Microsoft specific.
Learners in grade 12 design web-sites, spreadsheets, and databases using
Microsoft tools.

In my understanding there is however a small section that explains (and
assesses learners knowledge about) the concept of Open Source.

My input is more in the form of a question:

Is there an organised lobby that is working with the authorities to
adapt the curriculum in ways that

a) EITHER teaches learners to use different technologies (ie. both
Microsoft Office and OpenOffice.org).

b) OR sets assessment standards that would allow a learner or school to
use either Microsoft Office or OpenOffice.org (or another set of tools)
to accomplish the same task.

Would this be a worth-while cause to lobby for?

Weiers