[ubuntu-za] packages

Jonathan Hitchcock jonathan at vhata.net
Thu Jun 19 15:19:21 BST 2008

Hi,

On 19 Jun 2008, at 3:14 PM, Simon Richards wrote:
> This is why I asked, normally only use apt-get etc, then I noticed
> aptitude returns different results,   then I just thought I'd ask the
> experts....

Well, nobody has really covered the reasons yet, although Morgan
touched on them - everybody else has just said what they use.

There are three, maybe four factors involved.

First of all, do you want a GUI or a command-line tool?  If you want a
GUI tool, then "Add/Remove Packages" is nice and simple and will do
the trick, but Synaptic has some real power behind it - you can select
packages based on all sorts of statuses, and do complex searches, and
so on.  For example, you can find all packages that used to be
installed, but are now uninstalled, but haven't had their
configurations cleaned up yet (and then you can clean up their configs).

There's also that KDE thing, whose name I can't remember.

If you're going the command-line route, your main contenders are apt-
get or aptitude.  You can also use things like dselect and dpkg-alone,
and so on, but, well, don't.

Both of them have features that the other one does not:  'apt-get
source' will download a source package, but I don't know how to use
aptitude to do that.  'aptitude purge' will remove configuration files
as well as a package, but I don't know how to use apt-get to do that.
Aptitude can get the changelog for you, but you need to use one of
those special apt-listchanges commands or something otherwise.  And so
on - there are a number of feature-differences that mean that neither
one of them is completely superceded by the other.

However, if we're just installing a package, there are still different
factors to take into account.  I'm not sure if I've got my facts 100%
correct, but I think this is how it goes:

apt-get came first, and as such, it set the base-line on installing
debs with dependency handling.  When aptitude came on the scene, it
added two features which apt-get did not have:  it automatically
installs "recommended" packages as dependencies by default (although
you can turn this off); and it also keeps track of packages that were
only installed as dependencies of another package (so that it can
remove them as unnecessary when that package is removed).

Now, as Morgan points out, apt-get has already gained the second
feature of automatic-unused-dependency removal, and in the next
version of Ubuntu, it will also gain the ability to install
recommended packages as dependencies.  So, by that stage, they'll be
functionally equivalent, really, and it'll be "whatever you use", but
as I said above, both have certain features that the other does not
have, and you should really have at least a vague knowledge of both if
you want to really get the most out of your system.