[ubuntu-za] Hardy

Bill Cairns cairnsww at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 12:33:00 BST 2008

Hi Simon,

Thanks for your informed reply.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 12:30 AM, Simon Cross <hodgestar at gmail.com> wrote:

> Ethernet cards and sound cards are very different.

I know - but my experience has made me less logical.  ;-)

> > Advice on what to do next? It seems I can -
>
> Part of the problem with sound cards is that detecting the exact setup
> in use by probing the hardware can be very difficult. A case is point
> is the snd-hda-intel driver for ALSA.  This single driver supports
> almost 30 similar codec chips and between them more than 100 different
> models. The difference between these models is mostly in the
> configuration of the input and output jacks.

Yes, but. My point is that the Intel 965 with the 82801H Audio controller is
the heart of about as standard an enterprise PC as you can get. In a
previous life, before I retired, I was responsible for purchasing a couple
of thousand of them.  There must be millions in service around the world.

Anyway thanks for your advice. It is much appreciated. If I find another
attack of wannabe Geekism coming on, I will certainly try it. Until then I
will compute in silence.

Bill