[ubuntu-za] Photo management

Denham Coote denhamcoote at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 20:09:39 BST 2008

Hi everyone

Can anyone recommend _decent_ photo management software for Linux?
I'm looking for something along the lines of ACDSee, which includes:

File browser (tree view)
Thumbnailing (For bonus points: Thumbnail caching)
Image viewer
Importing images from media card (Again, for bonus points, auto-rotate
would be great)
Basic editing, if built in would be nice. (Levels, saturations, etc)
Mass editing across files (mass resize, resampling, etc)

That's pretty much it. (Other things like RAW image processing, EXIF
data, etc, are nice, but not critical...)

I've tried a few different packages, but none are quite up to the job.
 F-Spot is almost ok, but it insists on using its own libraries and
galleries. I have 50 000+ photos and I'm quite happy with the way they
are stored - I don't see the need to re-import them into a library
purely for the sake of being able to tag and catalog the files.  (If
I'm being daft here, please advise :))

Thanks!

Denham.

--
Worry never robs tomorrow of its sorrow - It merely saps the strength of today.