[ubuntu-za] Updates

Bill Cairns cairnsww at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 19:42:56 BST 2008

Ja well no fine. I hope that you took my mail in the spirit that it was sent
;).

I suppose that my problem is, and my concern is, that Ubuntu is beginning to
adopt the Nanny philosophy that drove me away from loving Microsoft in the
first place. Yes, support for Exchange is probably a good thing (let's
undermine them from within as well as from without) but nine tenths of us -
nine hundred and ninety nine thousandths of us - will never want to
integrate with an  Exchange server. Surely, support for an Exchange server
is only going to be a couple of clicks away in Synaptic anyway, so why
inflict the pain on all of us?

We have another example lately in Evolution demanding a password for an
encryption file. Good security if we are going to use encryption. But the
same 9999/10000 of us don't mind if you publish our email on the Internet.
So why ask for the password on a file that is completely empty?

I also run Ubuntu on a very old and ancient Dell machine and have struggled
to improve its performance by stopping it running (and updating) anything it
does not need. That means uninstalling a huge amount of stuff that (in my
ignorant and very humble opinion) should not be there in the first place.

As I said, Ja well no fine.