[ubuntu-za] Updates

Jonathan Carter jonathan at ubuntu.com
Tue Jul 29 19:16:09 BST 2008

Hi Bill

Bill Cairns wrote:
> I religiously and uncritically apply all the updates to my system.
> Lately there seem to be lots of them. Too many lots.
>
> Today I noticed that there was a security update to the Evolution
> Exchange Connector. Huh?
>
> I need the Exchange Connector so that I can integrate with MS Exchange?
> I need Microsoft Exchange so that I can ... Well I can't remember.
>
> Will someone explain why I need to correct a potential security flaw in
> the Exchange Connector when I will use Exchange when I finally get
> senile and buy into a Microsoft world view of mediocre is king?

If I understand correctly, you're not connecting to an Exchange server,
and you would like to know why you require an update for a connector
you'll never use.

The connector is probably shipped by default with Evolution, since
Exchange support is probably an advertised feature. Ubuntu's update
manager doesn't check whether you use a package or not before
downloading and installing an update, it checks whether a package is
installed. If there is a newer package available for any installed
package, update manager will offer to install the newer version.

What it comes down to, is that update-manager did not mean to insult you
or suggest that you are connecting to an Exchange server. You can
prevent this update from bothering you again by removing the
evolution-exchange package :)

-Jonathan