[ubuntu-za] Wiki-data migration

Morgan Collett morgan at ubuntu.com
Sat Jul 26 14:47:33 BST 2008

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 22:11, Jonathan Carter <jonathan at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Ubunteros
>
> I've been a bit quiet on the Wiki migration front. I finally got the
> complete and final dump of the moin wiki database last week. It's
> running again at http://jono.co.za/ubuntu-za/FrontPage
>
> We'll need your help to migrate the data.
>
> What needs to happen is:
> 1. Find a page that isn't in the new wiki yet
> 2. Copy and paste the wiki code from the old wiki to the new one
> 3. Edit the wiki mark-up from moin to mediawiki
> 4. Make sure all images from old page are included
> 5. Leave a message at the top of the page to let everyone know that the
> page has been migrated, just so that it can be checked if necessary.

Thanks Jonathan for all your work on this.

It's time for us all to get involved in setting up the new wiki.

* Go to http://wiki.ubuntu-za.org/ and create an account for yourself
(link is at the bottom of the page). You don't have to use
FirstnameLastname style usernames, but note that Mediawiki capitalises
the first letter of usenames (and pages).
* Your personal page is now at User:_____ (your username). Link at the
bottom of the page after you log in.
* Move that content over - e.g. I must move the content of
http://jono.co.za/ubuntu-za/MorganCollett to
http://wiki.ubuntu-za.org/User:MorganCollett (my username is
MorganCollett on both).
* Jonathan has done a great new front page and some related pages.
Please look through content in the old wiki
(http://jono.co.za/ubuntu-za/FrontPage) and see what you can move to
the new wiki.

Some notes on Mediawiki:
* Feel free to put comments about pages on the Talk page of a page
(e.g. Talk:Wiki_Home). You will find that linked at the bottom of each
page as "discussion". This is the appropriate place to leave comments
about what you think should be changed, without actually changing it.
Sign your comments by putting --~~~~ at the end, which will put your
username and the date/time of your comment.
* The formatting is generally similar to moin - our old wiki - but
some things are different. Shout if you need help.

If you move something interesting over, or need assistance, mail the list.

Regards
Morgan