[ubuntu-za] OT : Linkup Wireless Event 23 Feb 9:30-13:00

Karl Fischer kmf at fischer.org.za
Fri Feb 22 08:22:14 GMT 2008

Hi
This is just a reminder for tomorrow's event,

url:http://fischer.org.za/linkup/

It will happen at the Department of Science and Technology, Building
53, CSIR Campus, Pretoria, South Africa

Linkup is an event designed to help people meet other people from
other Wireless Groups, see what they have in common, share their
knowledge and experiences and see if they can collaborate. Link -
Share - Learn.

There will be a Speaker from Freifunk : Corinna "Elektra" Aichele
taking about Mesh Networking.

About Corinna "Elektra" Aichele
Elektra co-developed and actively participated in the deployment of
Freifunk's mesh technology for community networks in Berlin based on
OLSR. She contributed to the adoption of Wi-Fi technology in
Bangladesh
and India by participating in training workshops. She authored the
book
"Mesh" and co-authored "Wireless Networking in the Developing
World" published under the Creative Commons Licence. This book can be
downloaded free from the URL www.wndw.net. Elektra is currently a
guest
of the Meraka Institute where she is testing her new mesh routing
protocol called B.A.T.M.A.N.
About the Meraka Institute
The Meraka Institute, through its Wireless Africa Research Group, is
pursuing innovation in wireless mesh networking aimed at creating
technology solutions that address the needs of the 450 million people
in
rural Africa without telecommunication services. Wireless Africa
produced a do-it-yourself guide called "Building a Rural Mesh Network"
aimed at communities who wish to build their own infrastructure. It
was
published under the Creative Commons Licence and it can be downloaded
from the URL
http://wirelessafrica.meraka.org.za/wiki/index.php/DIY_Mesh_Guide.
The rural community of Macha in Zambia was the first to successfully
apply the principles from this guide within one week after its
publication.
The Wireless Africa Research Group of the Meraka Institute is keen to
see community owned networks flourish. The soon to be published
regulations to the Electronic Communications Act will provide greater
clarity on the status of community wireless networks. We continue to
promote the need for exemption of these networks. In order to extend
the
reach of our mesh network ("ptamesh") to include CSIR staff far from
our
own infrastructure, we wish to meet with other wireless networks
operating in our area with a view to seek mutually beneficial peering
relationships.

Thanks
Karl

Karl Fischer