[ubuntu-za] Nice comment

Andrew Alston aa at tenet.ac.za
Thu Feb 21 13:33:00 GMT 2008

I need to play devils advocate here for a second (btw, we are a largely
open source shop, this is not my dislike of open source making me right
this)

The problem comes in the fact that unfortunately, particularly in the
corporate space, there is often far more trust in what is payed for than
for what is free.  The logic is simple, if you pay for it, you have
someone to scream at when it breaks, if you pay for it, and it breaks,
you can point the finger.  In the corporate world, and in various other
sectors, people are often very scared of that which is free, or that
which is to cheap.  Its similar to a graph I was shown the other day by
a colleague about tax income in a country.  If you tax people at 0, you
make 0 income, if you tax people at 100%, you also make 0, because no
one does any work and/or pays their taxes.  The sweet spot is somewhere
in between.  A very similar mentality applies to the I.T industry,
people feel more secure with things they have paid for.

The trick to understanding this is NOT to look at it from a techie
perspective, look at it from the point of view of a non-technical board
of a large company that simply wants to protect themselves from risk,
and whats someone to go back to when their investments in
hardware/software/etc go horribly wrong.  I've seen multi-million rand
tenders be awarded to a more expensive contractor purely because the
first contractor was to cheap and as a result people questioned the
contractors understanding of the job and his ability to deliver it.

*THAT* is one of the major battles open source will always face in
getting widely accepted in the corporate market, humanities lack of
trust in that which is free.

Not saying it cant be overcome, but it is a perspective to keep in mind

Thanks

Andrew Alston
TENET - Chief Technology Officer