[ubuntu-za] ARE .DEB FILES NECESSARY?

Marius Kruger amanic at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 08:30:34 GMT 2008

2008/12/31 Vincent Williams <vincent at capeflats.org.za>

> On Wednesday 31 December 2008 09:25:08 vincent wrote:
> > A possibly silly question.
> >
> > Are the .Deb files, kept in /cache/archives necessary to re-install
> > programs downloaded, should there be a mishap, or are these just used in
> > the initial download process?

and if you need to re-install it for some reason.

> If you need to reinstall and have deleted the  relevant .deb file(s) from
> your
> local archive, they will be downloaded again.

yes and disk space is cheaper than bandwidth for me,
so I keep them for as long as possible.

you can configure apt as to how long it should be kept.
I configured my /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/20archive as follows:
APT::Archives::MaxAge "200";
APT::Archives::MinAge "2";
APT::Archives::MaxSize "5000";

I could not find the unit for the above variables on the interweb,
but I assume it is days for age and MB for size.

I'm also not 100% sure that the above works for me,
but you can give it a try. It should be easier for you to determine
if it makes a difference. the following commands may help