[ubuntu-za] Ubuntu Distribution

Raoul Snyman raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
Thu Dec 18 10:14:48 GMT 2008

Hi Phillip,

On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:55:44 +0200, "philip at pinksoft.co.za"
<philip at pinksoft.co.za> wrote:
>  Don't get me wrong I am an Ubuntu supporter and I would like to see
> it successful a) against Microsoft and b) against other Linux Distros.
> I just feel that what is missing is some guys in designer label suits
> passing round drinks at the Box at Newlands. I work full time in an
> Open Source project (TurboCASH) and the biggest problem I have is
> keeping the wheels of commerce turning. I could think of nothing
> better than making more Linux installations, but the real world
> channel does not buy it. The Open Source method produces great
> software, but it needs to be packaged in a hard edged selling
> operation.

I (and I think a number of others) understands your point. We, as the open
source community, are not going to get open source software into Joe
Average's house by passing disks around. Joe Average likes to go to
Incredible Deception and get his computer with whatever it comes with, and
is quite used to the idea of buying software. That's all he knows.

As an example, the first time my wife heard about Linux and open source
software was when I first met her, and she asked me what I do, etc. She'd
never heard of it before, and so it is with most South Africans. Now she's
using Linux, and she can't believe she could ever use Windows.

However, because we are a community, not a commercial company, we lack the
money and distribution channels to get Linux and open source software into
Incredible Deception and other stores. I'm sure most folks on this list
would love to see an Ubuntu box sitting in a computer store, but the simple
matter of the fact is that we don't have the resources to make it happen.

And so we sit with this dilemma. In the end, we do the best we can, and
inform folks about open source software at every opportunity, and pass out
disks whenever and wherever we can.

--
Raoul Snyman, B.Tech IT (Software Engineering)
Saturn Laboratories
e: raoul.snyman at saturnlaboratories.co.za
w: http://www.saturnlaboratories.co.za/
b: http://blog.saturnlaboratories.co.za/