[ubuntu-za] CDs from carboots

Hannes Coetzee scorpking at eshowecompcentre.co.za
Wed Dec 17 21:29:35 GMT 2008

This is even more cute. I work at an IT company and the amount of users
looking at or completely changing to Linux keeps on growing every day.
Quite a few businesses switched over to Linux where they can. It seems
to be only Pastel that still keep businesses on Windows but TurboCASH is
gaining ground and all the accounting firms in town now recognize and
support TurboCASH (Thanks for TurboCASH Phillip).  MS Office is also
slowly fading away here as more people become aware of OpenOffice. We
also place FOSS related ads in the surrounding newspapers and give away
printed OpenOffice (and other) cd's with templates and add-ons to the
first few that show the ad at the company. The rest of the people get a
copied disk of the same cd. Next year this cd will also include
OpenOffice training courses (as soon as we changed it to Oo3) that will
hopefully make switching from MS Office a whole lot easier. This way I
can talk to people about FOSS and give demonstrations on our Linux
machines. We also added a local Ubuntu mirror at the company (thanks to
Andy who gave me his apt repo) so people can easily update or install
new programs. I for one are usually to busy to spend a lot of time on
Launchpad. There always seems to be someone who needs help installing
Linux, general advice on how to use their new system or just the usual
"how can I do this or that in Linux" that take up a lot of my time but
in the end it's worth it. To those promoting and supporting FOSS - keep
it up, we're getting there. :)

Regards
Hannes